Cannabutter has become a staple ingredient for many cannabis enthusiasts who enjoy infusing their favorite recipes and meals with the relaxing and euphoric effects of THC. Using quality herb to make cannabutter can take your edibles to the next level. However, not all strains are created equal when it comes to cannabutter. The key is finding the right balance of flavors and effects by selecting strains that are optimized for infusing into fatty bases like butter or oil.
In this blog, we’ll explore the versatility of cannabutter, factors to consider when selecting strains, a curated list of top strains for cannabutter, step-by-step instructions for making cannabutter at home, tips for achieving the perfect consistency and color, enhancing flavor, dosage considerations, and some delicious recipe ideas. Whether you’re a seasoned edibles chef or experimenting for the first time, this guide will help you unlock the full potential of homemade cannabutter.
Understanding Cannabutter and Its Versatility
Cannabutter refers to butter that has been infused with cannabis, absorbing the active compounds including THC and CBD. It serves as a base for making all kinds of edibles from baked goods to sauces, allowing you to add the effects of marijuana into everyday cooking. Cannabutter can be substituted 1:1 in any recipe that calls for regular butter. The key difference is that cannabutter provides a slow, body-focused high in addition to flavor when consumed. From brownies and cookies to pasta sauces and garlic bread, the possibilities are endless when cooking with cannabutter. It’s an ideal way to medicate discreetly and enjoy the therapeutic benefits of cannabis.
Factors to Consider when Choosing Strains for Cannabutter
With so many strain varieties to choose from, it can be tough deciding what to use for your cannabutter. Here are some key factors to consider:
- Cannabinoid profile – Strains high in THC will produce more potent psychedelic effects, while CBD-rich strains provide clear-headed relief. Find a balance suitable for your needs.
- Terpenes – These aromatic compounds influence the flavor and effects. Pick strains with terpenes suited to your taste.
- Sativa vs. Indica – Sativas provide an energizing cerebral buzz while Indicas deliver deep relaxation. Hybrids give a blend of both.
- Potency – More potent strains will infuse stronger effects into the butter. Modulate potency with your dosage.
- Flavors – Select strains with appealing flavors that will complement your recipe, like fruity strains for sweets.
- Personal preference – Consider effects and flavors you enjoy most to customize your cannabutter.
Best Cannabis Strains for Making Cannabutter
Now let’s explore some of the best options specially selected for infusing into cannabutter:
- Blue Dream – This mildly potent sativa-dominant hybrid has a THC level around 17-24% and a sweet, berry-like taste. The euphoric cerebral effects pair perfectly with morning baked goods.
- Girl Scout Cookies – A blend of OG Kush and Durban Poison, this hybrid offers a strong body high and flavors of sweet earthiness. It’s excellent for relaxation-promoting cannabutter.
- Northern Lights – An iconic, award-winning Indica cherished for its fast-acting body buzz and piney flavor. This strain makes tranquilizing cannabutter ideal for nighttime use.
- Jack Herer – Uplifting and clear-headed, this sativa features pine and citrus flavors. It’s a great choice for infusing energetic effects into cannabutter.
- Granddaddy Purple – Featuring a berry, grape taste and powerful Indica effects, this strain infuses cannabutter with tranquil properties ideal for pain and anxiety relief.
- Sour Diesel – Pungent and mood-lifting, this invigorating sativa imparts an energizing head high perfect for infusing cannabutter intended for daytime use.
- Afghan Kush – An aromatic, pure Indica strain breeding rich hash flavors into the cannabutter while providing profoundly relaxing effects.
How to Make Cannabutter: Step-by-Step Guide
Once you’ve chosen your strains, it’s time to turn them into homemade cannabutter. Here’s a simple process to follow:
- Decarboxylation – Heat dried cannabis to activate THC and CBD. Grind buds, spread on a baking sheet, and bake at 250°F for 30-60 minutes until lightly toasted.
- Infusion – Melt 1 lb unsalted butter over low heat and stir in 1 oz decarbed cannabis. Simmer 2-3 hours, stirring occasionally and adding water as needed to prevent burning.
- Straining – Pour butter mixture through a cheesecloth-lined strainer, squeezing out liquid. Refrigerate until solidified then remove butter layer from the top.
- Storage – Keep finished cannabutter refrigerated in an airtight container for up to 2 months. Freeze for a longer duration.
Cannabutter Ratio Calculator and Dosage Considerations
Getting the THC dose right in your cannabutter can make all the difference between perfect medication or an uncomfortably strong high. An easy formula is 1oz cannabis per 1lb butter. But you can adjust the ratio up or down to achieve your desired potency. Use an online cannabutter calculator to find your perfect ratio based on the THC percentage of your starting material.
Start low, especially if you’re new to cannabis edibles. 10-20mg THC is ideal for infrequent users. Increase slowly in 5-10mg increments until you find your optimal dose. The effects manifest slowly over 1-2 hours when ingested compared to smoking, so be patient and don’t overdo it initially.
Achieving the Perfect Cannabutter Consistency and Color
Your finished cannabutter should have a rich green color and spreadable but firm consistency when cooled. A light green color indicates under-infusion and a brownish tint suggests overheating. The richness of color correlates to potency, so take visual cues as a gauge for effectiveness.
For best results, maintain low heat and prolong the simmering time during infusion instead of using high temperatures. Stir frequently and add small amounts of water to regulate temperature. This prevents burning and degradation of THC, optimizing cannabinoid extraction into the butter. Taking care to strain out all plant material also improves the consistency, color, and shelf life significantly.
Cannabutter Color Chart: Understanding Infusion Levels
Here’s a handy reference chart to determine potency levels based on cannabutter color:
- Light Green – Low potency, may not have infused properly
- Medium Green – Moderate THC levels, perfect for new users
- Dark Green – High potency suitable for regular consumers
- Brownish Green – Very potent, possibly overheated so use caution
- Solid Brown – Too much heat applied, THC destroyed
Unlocking the Flavor Potential of Cannabutter
Cannabutter doesn’t have to taste “green” or herbal. Choosing aromatic strains like fruity Indicas or citrusy sativas imparts delicious flavors into the butter. You can further enhance taste by using clarified butter ghee, adding spices, citrus zest, vanilla, or honey during infusion. Complementary foods like berries, chocolate, nuts, and coffee can mask any weed taste too.
Recipes and Culinary Applications for Cannabutter
Cannabutter opens up a whole world of THC-infused recipe potential. From sweet baked goods to savory appetizers and meals, it can be used anywhere you’d typically use traditional butter. Get creative and go beyond basic weed brownies with these delicious ideas:
- Snickerdoodle cookies
- Strawberry cheesecake
- Pesto pasta
- Garlic bread
- Eggs benedict
- Macaroni and cheese
- Mashed potatoes
- Pancakes w/ maple butter
Whichever recipe you choose, be sure to calculate dosage properly and enjoy your cannabutter creation responsibly. Making cannabutter at home allows you to customize potency, flavors, and effects precisely to your liking. Follow this guide to experience the full flavor and impact of infusing artisanal strains into your own cannabis butter.
At Inyo Fine Cannabis Dispensary, we offer the highest quality cannabis products in Las Vegas, including a wide selection of strains perfect for making your own custom cannabutter at home. Our knowledgeable budtenders can recommend ideal strains for your needs and desired effects. Visit us in-store or order online for delivery anywhere in the Vegas valley. Let us help you create pure cannabis perfection in every bite!